Normally we don’t do any kind of video game walkthroughs due to the fact that we’re an anime and manga-based blog, but since this is a filler post we’ve got a little bit of leeway action here. From the standpoint of Yours Truly (D.J. Lewis), Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door will without a doubt be known as one of the best installments of the whole franchise. It took everything that was great about the first one and jacked up its cool factor by 11! (Once again, this is only in my case so results may vary.)
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, I wanna talk about a certain dungeon that only a few hundred have conquered, but many a thousand have failed (somewhat). Yes you guys, I’m talking about the Pit of 100 Trials. 12 years ago on this day, Yours Truly faced this dangerous pit with many helpful items and power-brewing badges at my disposal. One thing you should know about the pit is that it’s completely optional, although going through it might net you some awesome badges along the way. (Again, this is completely up to you.)
Before making the decision to head down to “The Pit” there are a few things that you must know. There are no save blocks, no recovery blocks, and not even a comfy bed to sleep in to fully replenish your energy. (Damn, talk about hardcore. >.<)
There are also some crucial things that you must do before entering “The Pit”. So to help you out a little bit I’ve listed the points down below…
- You’re at Level 30 or higher
- You have at least 90 HP and 40 FP (though higher is better, but this is the minimum)
- You’ve got some power badges equipped (All-or-Nothing, P-Up D-Down, etc.)
- You’ve got some good items in your arsenal (Ultra Shroom, Jammin’ Jelly, etc.)
First Attack and Bump Attack badges won’t save you from the evils that lurk down below, so make sure to take them off before making this perilous journey. I’m not gonna go into heavy detail about each level of “The Pit” specifically, but I’ll tell you what you’ll be in for every ten levels. One good thing about the trials is that the tenth level of every ten-level set is a “safe zone”, meaning no monsters to fight against. You can even skip a few levels thanks to some “movers” that are located on certain levels, but make sure you’ve got enough coins to cover the move, and don’t even dare buy items from any of the merchants down there, their prices are high as hell!
Here’s what waits for you on Levels 1-9…
- Gloomba (7 HP, 3 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Spania (3 HP, 1 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Spinia (3 HP, 1 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Fuzzy (3 HP, 1 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Dull Bones (1 HP, 2 ATK, 1 DEF)
The first set of ten levels is probably going to be the easiest, so just use some Jump or Hammer attacks and that’ll get the job done. You shouldn’t take too much damage from these guys if you know how to Guard and Superguard, of course that only works if the enemy is attacking you directly.
Score of Difficulty: 1.8 / 10 Stars
Here’s what you’ll be in for on the second set of ten, that being levels 11-19…
- Paragloomba (7 HP, 3 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Pokey (4 HP, 3 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Pider (5 HP, 2 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Cleft (2 HP, 2 ATK, 2 DEF)
- Dark Puff (3 HP, 2 ATK, 0 DEF)
The second set is still kind of easy, so like the first just make sure you use your Jump and Hammer skills. (Only this time put a little more power into them.) Again the damage factor is still pretty low, so continue to use Guard and Superguard.
Score of Difficulty: 2.5 / 10 Stars
- Spiky Gloomba (7 HP, 4 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Bandit (5 HP, 2 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Bob-omb (4 HP, 2 ATK, 1 DEF)
- Boo (7 HP, 3 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Lakitu (5 HP, 2 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Spiny (3 HP, 3 ATK, 3 DEF)
Only a small fraction of difficulty has been added to this set of ten, but it should still be fairly easy to get through these levels. Jump and Hammer you way through, but throw in a few tricks for good measure. As always, Guard and Superguard if you can.
Score of Difficulty: 3.1 / 10 Stars
So what’s on levels 31-39…
- Shady Koopa (8 HP, 3 ATK, 1 DEF)
- Hyper Cleft (4 HP, 3 ATK, 3 DEF)
- Buzzy Beetle (5 HP, 3 ATK, 4 DEF)
- Flower Fuzzy (5 HP, 3 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Parabuzzy (5 HP, 3 ATK, 4 DEF)
- Dark Koopa (8 HP, 4 ATK, 2 DEF)
You might need to step it up in the power department if you plan on getting through this set of ten. Jump, Guard, Hammer, Superguard. Add some power and that’s it!
Score of Difficulty: 4.2 / 10 Stars
Okay, levels 41-49…
- Spike Top (5 HP, 3 ATK, 4 DEF)
- Spiky Parabuzzy (5 HP, 3 ATK, 4 DEF)
- Lava Bubble (6 HP, 4 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Bulky Bob-omb (6 HP, 2 ATK, 1 DEF)
- Shady Paratroopa (8 HP, 3 ATK, 1 DEF)
- Dark Paratroopa (8 HP, 4 ATK, 2 DEF)
- Poison Pokey (8 HP, 4 ATK, 0 DEF)
Once again, step it up in the power department. Jump, Guard, Hammer, and Superguard.
Score of Difficulty: 4.8 / 10 Stars
Levels 51-59…you tired yet?
- Red Chomp (6 HP, 5 ATK, 3 DEF)
- Ice Puff (9 HP, 4 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Badge Bandit (12 HP, 5 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Moon Cleft (6 HP, 5 ATK, 5 DEF)
- Dark Boo (8 HP, 5 ATK, 0 DEF)
Now is not the time to punk out! If you didn’t escape at level 50 when you had the chance, then tough tennis balls, maggot! Jump, Hammer, Guard, and Superguard your way to victory! your drill Sargent will thank you.
Score of Difficulty: 6.4 / 10 Stars
Levels 61-69…are we there yet?
- Dark Wizzerd (10 HP, 5 ATK, 2 DEF)
- Dry Bones (8 HP, 5 ATK, 2 DEF)
- Dark Lakitu (13 HP, 5 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Dark Craw (20 HP, 6 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Sky-blue Spiny (6 HP, 6 ATK, 4 DEF)
- Frost Piranha (10 HP, 5 ATK, 0 DEF)
If you’re unlucky enough to have four Dark Craws to fight against, then God bless your soul you brave fool! Power yourself up Jump and Hammer-wise and for the love of God, keep the damage factor to a minimum!
Score of Difficulty: 7.3 / 10 Stars
So, levels 71-79…you still alive?
- Wizzerd (10 HP, 6 ATK, 3 DEF)
- Swoopula (9 HP, 4 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Phantom Ember (10 HP, 5 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Dark Koopatrol (25 HP, 5 ATK, 2 DEF)
- Chain Chomp (7 HP, 6 ATK, 5 DEF)
Two words: POWER UP! Keep the damage factor to a minimum and don’t DIE!
Score of Difficulty: 8.2 / 10 Stars
Levels 81-89…one more set to go!
- Arantula (16 HP, 7 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Dark Bristle (8 HP, 8 ATK, 4 DEF)
- Piranha Plant (15 HP, 9 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Spunia (12 HP, 7 ATK, 2 DEF)
Power up! Keep the damage factor down! Don’t die!
Score of Difficulty: 8.9 / 10 Stars
Levels 91-99…the final set!
- Amazy Dayzee (20 HP, 20 ATK, 1 DEF)
- Bob-ulk (10 HP, 4 ATK, 2 DEF)
- Elite Wizzerd (12 HP, 8 ATK, 5 DEF)
- Poison Puff (15 HP, 8 ATK, 0 DEF)
- Swampire (20 HP, 6 ATK, 0 DEF)
Every single enemy now has a double digit HP, so power to the max and beat them down!
Score of Difficulty: 9.4 / 10 Stars
If you managed to make it through the previous 99 floors of “The Pit”, then kudos! Don’t celebrate just yet because now you’re on the 100th floor, and now you face the sibling of both Hooktail and Gloomtail. Power up to the max and keep the damage low! After you beat him, take your new badge home and get the hell outta there!
Yep, that’s pretty much how to get through the Pit of 100 Trials. Stay tuned for my next anime-related filler post my awesome fans! 🙂